The Spotlight Blog! - Selected Back Issues

Monday, July 04, 2005

Biz-ness, Day Camp II & July 4th, 1976

Networking can be lots of fun. Because of my association with recently adopted Marketing Guru (see BarryMorris.com for details) for independent business owners, many of my previously held concepts of business, marketing, and relationship building have been turned on their heads. It's a good thing to be upside-down on occasion. It makes your whole thinking about a subject resemble a game of Jumble. It helps you to see it from a different perspective. When that happens, different solutions become apparent.

An important element in the development of my business is the commitment to giving more than I receive. In Wallace Wattle's 1910 book The Science of Getting Rich, he states that in oder to be truly successful in life (business) it is vital in each transaction, that "you give more in use value than you receive in cash value." Giving more than you receive. What a concept, huh? That coupled with gratitude is a sure way to drive repeat business in any industry.

Camp du Soleil was a huge hit with Justin. Last week he was thrilled to be getting up early (even in the summer) and head out for six hours of structured, exhausting, craft-and-sport related fun. He made a few new friends and has generally stepped into a larger world; a good thing for any child.

July 4, 1976 The American Bicentennial celebration was in full throttle. I was not included as I was in our mother country living in a small town in Northern England. The Robb family of Hexham threw a huge dinner party for me including guests from all over town. It was a surprise.

As I look back on that day so many years ago, I'm filled with a nostalgia for old friends and time when the world seemed simpler. I think about how the memory of that day remains with me. I think about how proud I was then to be an American. I wish that I could say the same today. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we have become a land that demonizes the principles of diversity upon which our nation was built.

In celebration of what our country was at one time and, hopefully, will become again, Happy 4th to all.