The Spotlight Blog! - Selected Back Issues

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Old Friends, Father's Day & Solitude

Blast From The Past This week I've been in contact with several friends from days gone by. I had a great three hour lunch with Bill G. on Friday. We hadn't seen one another since the glory days of high school. With the advent of our upcoming 30 year reunion in August, it was inevitable that we two, as well as others from distant days, reinitiated contact. Bill was passing through Silicon Valley on his way to San Francisco and stopped in to see me. It was a great lunch; the restaurant actually turned out the lights on us. Talk about a subtle hint.

Others have responded via email and I couldn't be happier with the renewed relationships, albeit virtual ones.

Father's Day My father is on the road with my mother in the midst of a cross-country trek to their 55th high school reunion in August. (Did they have schools back then, Dad?) Talk about renewing relationships, Dad has spoken to and emailed his friends across the globe as this event approached. Thanks to Al Gore (he invented the Internet, you know), all this was possible.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day Dad! You're the greatest.

Solitude As I write this the house is relatively quiet. The radio is playing songs that soothe my recent trip down Memory Lane.

Solitude is an old friend. She comes in the night and early morning and at any other time I can squeeze her in. She is ever near, ever comforting.

I befriended her years ago and she has been my constant and true companion. I embrace her frequently and advise others to become acquainted with her. Some fear her opting instead for the realtive comfort they find in the bustling environment of their multitasking lifestyle.

For me, she remains a refuge; an occasional mini-vacation from the pace of life. It is in her presence that my true self resides.

Peace.