The Spotlight Blog! - Selected Back Issues

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dirty Dancing: The Collection Two-Step

**The Spotlight**
Weekly Lessons in Attracting More Attention To Your Business
April 4, 2006 Edition

Dr. Barry W. Morris, Editor - http://BarryMorris.com
Dirty Dancing: Learning The Collection Two-Step

Anyone who's been in business for any length of time eventually hasto learn to dance. I'm not talking about strutting your stuff onthe dance floor while a mirrored ball throws glittery light allaround the room.

I'm talking about a different kind of dance. The kind that usuallyresults in your dance partner finding a convenient excuse toquickly go powder his or her nose only to squeeze through that tinywindow above the toilet and make their escape.

I'm talking dirty dancing; the dirtiest kind.The kind that make the lambada look like Ring-Around-the Roses.

Yes folks, I'm talkin' the Collection Two-Step; the meanest,dirtiest physical gyration a business owner ever has to learn; thekind that comes a free sample of ibuprofen.

I must admit that right now I'm involved in this dirty little dance.And it's a bit frustrating.
I've done the work, I've had no complaint, even received acompliment about my direction with the copy and ideas for marketing.

It's my fault because I ignored the fundamental rule in businessand medicine: Get paid at the door.

Get paid in advance...always. Once you letthem out the door, you can kiss your fee goodbye.
And I've received every excuse in the book about why the checkhasn't materialized.Now, my client is asking for more services. Oy vey, everybody. What to do?

When confronted with this type of situation, what do you do?

a) Turn down the work?
b) Insist on payment now?
c) Set up a revolving credit agreement?
d) none of the above.
e) Look for a new dance partner?

The answer is...do what you feel is best for this client and then...

ALWAYS GET PAID IN ADVANCE.

Here's why you should always demand payment in advance for
yourprofessional services:

1. It establishes your value.
2. It reinforces your professional stature.
3. It separates the wheat from the chaff; the wallflower from the real dancer.4. It's what happens in business.

Ever try to walk out of a 7-11 store without paying?
Know what happens?You get a free meal...really, at the local jail.

It's called stealing. And it's frowned on by most.Don't let clients steal from you.
It's not good business.

So, what will I do?

I'm going to call my client (he's in another state) and tell himthat in order to feel comfortable going forward with further jobs, I must be paid now and in advance for all future jobs.

No judgement, No apology. If he doesn't pay?
I'll take the loss,learn the big lesson, and remind myself that I simply don't needclients that won't pay in advance.

I value what I do. If they don't perceive my value, then it's myfault for not establishing it up front.

Lesson learned? You bet!
Thanks for reading,
Barry